Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Mark Hollis, Talk Talk star, dies at 64


Media captionTalk Talk perform It's My Life in Rotterdam in 1984
Mark Hollis, lead singer of 1980s band Talk Talk, has died at the age of 64, his former manager has confirmed.
"Sadly it's true," Keith Aspden said. "Mark has died after a short illness from which he never recovered."
Talk Talk achieved mainstream success with such hits as It's My Life and Such a Shame, but became increasingly insular and experimental over time.
After releasing a solo album in 1998, Hollis left music behind and removed himself from public view.

When asked about the decision, he said: "I choose for my family. Maybe others are capable of doing it, but I can't go on tour and be a good dad at the same time." 
His final release was a solo album, also called Mark Hollis, in 1998.
Keith Aspden told the BBC he was "still trying to accept" that his former colleague had died.
"I can't tell you how much Mark influenced and changed my perceptions on art and music." he said.
"I'm grateful for the time I spent with him and for the gentle beauty he shared with us."
Talk Talk backstage at Top of the Pops in 1982
Image captionTalk Talk in 1982: (L-R) Paul Webb, Mark Hollis, Lee Harris, Simon Brenner
Talk Talk's bassist Paul Webb, aka Rustin Man, said he was "shocked and saddened" at the news. 
"Musically he was a genius and it was a honour and a privilege to have been in a band with him," he wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment