ΤΟ ΙΣΤΟΛΟΓΙΟ ΜΑΣ ΞΕΠΕΡΑΣΕ ΜΕΧΡΙ ΣΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΙΣ 1.300.000 ΕΠΙΣΚΕΨΕΙΣ.
Friday, May 4, 2018
Close breaking news
Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski expelled from Oscars academy
Share this with Facebook
Share this with Twitter
Share this with Email
Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski have been expelled from the US Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The academy - which runs the Oscars - said this was done in accordance with its standards of conduct.
TV star Cosby was convicted of sexual assault last month. Oscar-winning director Polanski admitted statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1977.
Producer Harvey Weinstein was kicked out last year, following numerous allegations of sexual assault.
Less than a year after the downfall of the producer the #MeToo movement is catching up with other men who abused their power, the BBC's James Cook in Los Angeles reports.
Neither Cosby nor Polanski have publicly reacted to the academy's decision.
Cosby's wife, Camille, described his conviction as "mob justice, not real justice".
"This tragedy must be undone not just for Bill Cosby, but for the country," she said.
Oscars board expels Harvey Weinstein
Bill Cosby: The fall of 'America's Dad'
What did the academy say?
The prestigious organisation made the announcement on Thursday - two days after its board members voted on the issue.
In a statement, it said its board "has voted to expel actor Bill Cosby and director Roman Polanski from its membership in accordance with the organisation's Standards of Conduct".
"The Board continues to encourage ethical standards that require members to uphold the Academy's values of respect for human dignity," it added.
Only four people are known to have been expelled in its 91-year history.
The first was actor Carmine Caridi, who had his membership revoked in 2004 after
he allegedly sent confidential film preview videos
to a friend which ended up online.
On social media, many people have been asking what took the academy so long to take action against Polanski, who has been honoured in the decades since he admitted to statutory rape.
Polanski's Oscar nominations since his 1977 guilty plea
: Best Director for Tess
: Best Picture for The Pianist
: Best Director for The Pianist (which he won)
What did Polanski do?
The unlawful sex case against Polanski, now aged 84, has dragged on for more than 40 years.
Polanski admitted unlawful sex with Samantha Geimer, who was a minor in 1977, and served 42 days in prison, but later fled the US over concern that a plea bargain deal would be scrapped.
He has French and Polish citizenship, and has evaded various extradition attempts by US authorities.
France - where he lives - does not extradite its own citizens. A Polish court also rejected a US request when he was filming in Krakow in 2015.
The Swiss authorities also turned down a US warrant in 2010, after placing Polanski under house arrest for nine months.
he was picked to head the jury at the Césars
, the French equivalent of the Oscars.
He stepped down after the move sparked outrage.
Last year, Ms Geimer told a US court she had forgiven Polanski and wanted to move on
. But the court refused her plea.
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)