William Shatner took to Twitter to lament that he won't be able to attend the funeral for his friend and Star Trek co-star Leonard Nimoy, who died Friday after battling lung disease. "I am currently in FL, as I agreed to appear at the Red Cross Ball tonight," Shatner tweeted Saturday. "Leonard's funeral is tomorrow. I can't make it back in time.""I feel really awful," continued the actor, who played Captain Kirk on the classic sci-fi series. "Here I am doing charity work, and one of my dearest friends is being buried."Shatner proposed that Nimoy's fans pay their respects by tweeting to Shatner at the time of Sunday's funeral. "So maybe tomorrow we come together here and celebrate his life," he wrote. 
Following the news of Nimoy's passing, Shatner told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement, "I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent and his capacity to love." Other public figures who have shared their grief about Nimoy's death include President ObamaTom HanksSteve Martin and numerous Star Trek alums.