Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS

I'll See You in My Dreams
Warner Bros., 1951, B/W, 110 minutes, ***
Released December, 1951

A music-filled biography of songwriter Gus Kahn (played by Danny Thomas), chronicling his early career in Chicago, his success with Ziegfeld in New York, his problems during the Depression era and his relationship with wife Grace LeBoy (played by Doris Day). Songs include "It Had to Be You," "Love Me or Leave Me," "Ain't We Got Fun," "I Never Knew" and more. With Frank Lovejoy.

Very entertaining biopic of Gus Kahn, one of the most gifted and prolific lyricists of the first half of the twentieth century. You'll find many of his songs right here .

Produced by: Louis F. Edelman
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Written by: Melville Shavelson and Jack Rose
Musical Direction: Ray Heindorf
Music: Lyrics by Gus Kahn
Musical Numbers Staged and Directed by: LeRoy Prinz
Art Director: Douglas Bacon
Set Decorator: George James Hopkins
Wardrobe by: Leah Rhodes, Marjorie Best
Makeup Artist: Gordon Bau
Sound by: Oliver S. Garretson, David Forrest
Director of Photography: Ted McCord
Film Editor: Owen Marks

Cast: Doris Day [Grace LeBoy Kahn], Danny Thomas [Gus Kahn], Frank Lovejoy [Walter Donaldson], Patrice Wymore [Gloria Knight], James Gleason [Fred], Mary Wickes [Anna], Julie Oshins [Johnny], Jim Backus [Sam Harris], Minna Gombell [Mrs. LeBoy], Harry Antrim [Mr. LeBoy], William Forrest [Florenz Ziegfeld], Bunny Lewbel [Irene Kahn, age 6], Robert Lyden [Donald Kahn, age 8], Mimi Gibson [Irene Kahn, age 3], Christie Olson [Donald Kahn, age 4], Hans Conried [Mr. Rossiter], Richard Simmons [Bert], Else Neft [Mrs. Kahn], Jack Williams [Dancer], Clarence Landry [Dancer], Ray Kellogg [John McCormack], George Neise [Isham Jones], Vince Barnett [Comic], Dan Barton [Hollywood Producer]

Musical Program: [0:00] I'll See You in My Dreams (sung by Chorus behind titles); [0:02] It Looks Like a Big Night Tonight (two unidentified lady singers at Rossiter's); [0:03] Shine On, Harvest Moon (unidentified lady singer at Rossiter's); [0:12] I Wish I Had a Girl (Doris Day and Chorus); [0:26] Memories (Ray Kellogg as John McCormack); [0:32] Pretty Baby (Danny Thomas); [0:39] The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else (Doris Day); [0:43] Camp Tour Montage: Nobody's Sweetheart / My Buddy / Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye (Doris Day); [0:49] It Had to Be You (Danny Thomas); [0:51] Yes Sir, That's My Baby / Swingin' Down the Lane (Doris Day, Danny Thomas and kids); [1:00] Carolina in the Morning (Patrice Wymore); [1:05] Love Me or Leave Me (Patrice Wymore on telephone); [1:08] Love Me or Leave Me (sung and danced by Patrice Wymore and Chorus); [1:13] Makin' Whoopee (with special lyric, Danny Thomas and Doris Day); [1:16] No No Nora (Doris Day) / Your Eyes Have Told Me So (Danny Thomas); [1:22] It Had to Be Me (parody, Danny Thomas); [1:34] I'll See You in My Dreams (Doris Day); [1:41] Carioca (danced by marionettes); [1:47] I Wish I Had a Girl (Danny Thomas and Doris Day); [1:49] I'll See You in My Dreams (Chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment