Friday, June 10, 2011

BEATTY FLIRTING WITH 'DICK TRACY' SEQUEL

Warren Beatty may make a “Dick Tracy” sequel, the actor and director announced Thursday at the Hero Complex Film Festival.

Beatty, who directed and starred in the 1990 detective movie based on Chester Gould‘s long-running comic strip, said he’s been working on the sequel and wants to “get it right.”

“When you’re really doing good work is when you don’t know you’re working, and when something just occurs to you, and you go, ‘Oh, of course.’” Beatty told the packed auditorium at the Chinese Six in Hollywood after the festival’s opening screening of “Dick Tracy.” In the audience were the film’s visual effects wizards Harrison Ellenshaw and John Scheele.

Beatty also said a remastered Blu-ray is in the works, but was tight-lipped on the details for either project.

“I think it’s dumb to talk about movies before you make them,” Beatty said. “I just don’t do it. It gives you a reason to avoid making them.”

Beatty spoke for nearly two hours on “Dick Tracy,” describing his love for the story, his admiration for the actors and his mixed emotions about making movies. Here are a few highlights:

On making the film: “I didn’t want to do some picture where everything got blasted. … I think of this picture as rather a gentle movie, and it is compared to some stuff. Little by little I found myself caught up enough in it to actually go and make a movie about it, because it was hard for me. … I always think of making a movie like vomiting. I don’t like to vomit, but I get to the point where I think, ‘I’d better go ahead and do this, and I’ll feel better.’”

On the Chester Gould comic strip: ”It was the first comic strip I got involved with as a kid. You know, Dick Tracy was the first non-funny comic strip. … People got shot, times were tough in the Depression, things had to be done, and he went and did them.”

On Stephen Sondheim, who wrote award-winning songs for the film: “I’m such a fan of Sondheim’s. Everytime I see one of his shows, I just fall apart on the first song.”

The festival runs June 9-12 at the Hollywood & Highland complex. Other guests include Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Nicholas Meyer and Roberto Orci for the special “Star Trek” program on Friday; Richard Donner, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee and screenings of “Superman” and “Superman II: The Donner Cut” on Saturday, as well as Mike Mignola for a free poster signing and a statue that pays tribute to Christopher Reeve and his classic Superman portrayal; and Jon Favreau on Sunday with a screening of “Iron Man” and “Iron Man 2,” as well as an exclusive new preview of “Captain America: The First Avenger” — plus some interesting surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment